November '14

Hola majimbos! This is AFROSYNTH, the realest African selection . . .

This month we bring you more slick disco tunes from LORRAINE STAPLE, RUFARO, JOYCE and RONNIE MARTIN, instrumental pop from HARRY MOYAGA and THE YOUNG STARS, crossover from LAPPASIDE, and some traditional grooves by UMSALOFU NAMAVIZITHA and LINGANISA NABAFANE BEJUBANE.

Last month we checked out The Invaders' JOE MOSES, SPECIAL CANE MAHLELEBE, MINEBELT, KATIE PENNINGTON, THE CHALLENGERS, SUKAZI MKHIZE, LINGANISA NABAFANA BEJUBANE and MAKAOTA AKALAME.

Sharp!

DESIREE - Change (1990)

Umkhonto/RPM, UMKH450   
Producer: Stephen Cooks


Desiree Baird fronted another obscure new school project put together by Ed Jordan and Stephen Cooks. It's politically outspoken lyrics over R&B-influenced grooves along the lines of Janet Jackson or Paula Abdul. Writes the singer: "This is what I believe in and you who listen to the songs will feel what I'm going through. I have a strong belief that someday things will change. I want everyone to go through this phase with me. 'Where there's a will, there's got to be a way'. This is my way of proving myself to the world. Finally, a very special mention to the father of our nation, Nelson Mandela. So long in captivity, so long on patience. Change will come. Change is what we all live for..."